One of the wonderful features of blogging is the experience of finding your own voice. I am finding that the more I blog the more I get comfortable with the whole experience and the platform. I've also been working on not being so technical and analytical about my writing - allowing my true personality and passion to start emerging. It's a journey that takes patience and commitment.
When I think about why I subscribe to various blogs, I find that it's not only that the author has something interesting or compelling to say. I have also discovered these things are also important to me:
- The author is writing on topics I like or want to learn more about
- It's not always what they say but how they say it - how they deliver the message
- The author gets the point across succinctly and the posts are well-written
- It's entertaining - makes me laugh - makes me think or ask questions or want to make a comment
We all have a voice! It may take a little while to trust the process and find it however. Here are a couple of tips for you to ponder as you find your voice:
- Write for yourself first - write 20 posts and watch how your voice starts to emerge and develop
- Blog like you are in a room full of friends, having a conversation, catching up on the news, latest events
- Write in stream of consciousness - just start and let it flow
- Share your opinions and ideas; be candid
- It takes a while to develop your voice - have patience and don't quit - just do it!