I did a mini-interview for the local FOX affiliate for a story they were doing on "Blogging for Buyers" - how some agents are using social networking and blogs to reach more consumers (Gen Y in particular). Here's a link to the story and video clip: Realtors Use Internet To Attract Young Buyers
If you are not familiar with the term Gen Y (aka Millenials), here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:
Gen Y represents more than 70 million consumers in the United States and refers to a specific cohort of individuals born, roughly, between 1980-83 and 1994 (first half) and 1995-2001 (second half). "Generation Y" alludes to a succession from Generation X (used to describe generations in many countries around the world born from 1965 to around 1982).
Generation Y & technology
In their recent book, Reynol Junco and Jeanna Mastrodicasa (2007) found that in a survey of 7,705 college students in the US:
- 97% own a computer
- 94% own a cell phone
- 76% use Instant Messaging.
- 15% of IM users are logged on 24 hours a day/7 days a week
- 34% use websites as their primary source of news
- 28% author a blog and 44% read blogs
- 49% download music using peer-to-peer file sharing
- 75% of college students have a Facebook account
- 60% own some type of portable music and/or video device such as an iPod.