We have asked this question thousands of times to brokers and agents… If you hire 10 people to your company – how many are going to make it in the real estate business?
The answer is NEVER more than 2!
Many managers and trainers believe they can ”fix” people. They are confident that because their company has the best tools, training and support and that they care and are a great manger, they can get most of these new agents to be successful in the business. Here’s the reality – you can’t fix people. They are who they are! Each person comes with their own degree of self-confidence, personality traits, behaviors and success characteristics. Now, they all have the dream and wish to be successful in the real estate business. Success for many first year real estate agents is typically to earn $100,000. It is possible to earn this in the first year if the agent is ready, willing, and able to get out of their comfort zone and get in front of enough people who need their service – to buy or sell real estate. It also requires great sales skill, inventory (market) knowledge, and technical expertise.
This real estate business requires constant, ongoing education and training. And, as always, experience is the best teacher. So, why do so many fail in this business? Why are approximately 75% of agents out of the business within the first two years of being licensed? Our collective experience and observations suggest the following:
- Approximately 10-15% of the active agent population enjoys great success and are the highest income earners – the “Top Producers”.
- This top group of people exhibits common characteristics that lead to this ultimate business success.
- Most licensees have an employee-mindset and never make the shift to entrepreneur and small business owner.
- Most licensees are not willing to do what it takes to make it in commission-sales based industry.
Three of the following four major types of individuals who, once identified, fit into a real estate team building model. To better understand the three types let’s take a look at the following factors for each group:
- Risk vs. Security
- Specific behaviors and characteristics
- Desired role and responsibilities
- The calculated risk-taker
- They are not afraid to work alone
- Natural salesman, enjoy the art of the deal (the rainmakers)
- They are driven, success-oriented, persistent
- Type-A personality, the controllers/drivers with a solid work ethic
- FIT: The Top Producers…Team Leader or Individual Lead Agent (approximately 5-10% of the population)
- This is the person who prefers to manage, supervise, and coach others
- Their motivation is to give back, to inspire, to build confidence in others
- They are comfortable being “second in command”
- They generally have management/supervisory experience prior to real estate
- They are more detail-oriented, good administrators and systemizers.
- Risk factor is moderate to low.
- FIT: Team Manager/Office Manager (approximately 20% of the population)
- Represents the largest portion of the population
- They prefer to work in a group environment
- Security influences this person – not big risk-takers
- Prefer to be a contributing member of a team
- Typically, this person needs and desires support systems, direction, mentoring, and leadership to thrive and succeed
- They generally come from an employee background and are used to and really want structure and accountability
- They are the belongers
- FIT: Team Associate, Buyers Agent, Licensed Admin Assistant, Hourly/Salaried Employee (approximately 30-40% of population)
An estimated 40% of licensees are in this group. Many will ultimately exit the real estate industry because they simple do not fit or they will maintain a license as a “hobbyist” or part-timer. You may find suitable admin assistants and occasionally a solid team associate from this group if their commitment and priorities have changed. Our turnkey, complete team building system includes all of the materials, supporting documents, checklists and manuals along with the step-by-step implementation training delivered via our on-demand video coaching platform.
Visit www.RealEstateTeamBuilder.com to learn more about our “Team Building in a Box” system to build your profitable real estate team. https://youtu.be/bZgLRf8LL7Y We also provide a wide selection of other real estate and business coaching programs that are designed with the agent in mind to help you build a successful career with real life instruction on how to implement and execute. You can learn about the other products and services provided by WBNL Coaching below: